There is absolutely no doubt that epoxy flooring looks attractive and marvelous. They are also easy to maintain and can be very much cost-effective. The fact that they are available in large varieties makes them perfectly suitable for many types of uses, both in domestic as well as commercial applications. Due to all these reasons, this type of flooring option is very much used in many places. However, there are also some facts that must be known by every owner so that making a decision on an epoxy floor can be easier. Some of the most noteworthy points are discussed here for understanding.
- The hardness is there due to its chemical bond – An epoxy flooring is basically made up of two things – a polyepoxide resin along with a curative. Both of them are mixed together and applied to a floor. After some time, due to the chemical bonding between both the chemicals as well as the floor, there is a hard bonding so that it won’t chip or peel away easy at a later period.
- Surface preparation is very important – Before going for epoxy flooring, it is important to prepare the surface so that it can gel well with it. Not preparing well for an epoxy floor could mean it can fail very soon. It is pertinent to mention here that one should always look out for moisture and get a professional moisture test done. Particularly, vapor or high humidity can slow down the settling process and development of adhesive bonds.
- There is a difference between ‘flooring’ and ‘coating’ – While people use both the terms interchangeably, there is a stark difference between the two. ‘Flooring’ essentially means that it should be at least two mm thick so that structural support can be provided by it. On the other hand, ‘coating’ means just a sort of protective layer without any kind of support from it. Therefore, these two terms must be understood before an application.
- Flexible-grade epoxy can be a strong option– Flexible-grade epoxy flooring is much stronger and durable than the rigid ones. For managing abrasion resistance satisfactorily, this type of epoxy can be very highly desired by a lot of people.
- It can also be combined with different products – Epoxy can be combined with a lot of different types of products due to its versatility. For example, non-slip layers can be mixed with included quartz while urethane topcoat blocks the epoxy and makes for a long-lasting commercial surface.
- Its curing may take some time – Epoxy can become hard quickly but that should not be confused as a surface is ready for use. For safely walking on a newly laid-out epoxy surface, at least 18-24 hours must be given for it to harden nicely. The final setting of a surface can take as much as 30 days and hence all load and traffic should not be provided at once after an epoxy floor is laid out.
In addition to all these points, it can be worthwhile to know that epoxy flooring can also be laid outdoors for many types of applications. Only it should be ensured that direct sunlight should not fall on the surface as that may damage the surface in the long run. Otherwise, keeping all these points in mind can be beneficial while buying and getting an epoxy floor installed within a property.